Guys, I made this pie over the weekend and my husband asked me what was I going to call this dish, I told him: “Shepherds pie”. He said I couldn’t name it that, as the original Shepherds pie is made with meat. But, I want to make the point that you can eat just as delicious without having to include animal protein in all your meals!
I loved this recipe so much, I’m sure it’s going to become a staple recipe in my kitchen. This dish is also a great healthy meal for those of us who are budget conscious. Lentils are very cheap, you could make enough for the whole week and freeze the individual portions in tin foil cases like these:
Ingredients: (serves 4 portion like the one shown above)
1 cup of lentils vertes or puy lentils
1 cup frozen peas
1 vegetable stock cube
1 cup of passata (250ml)
1 cup of water
Handfull of fresh parsley
For the mash:
1 big sweet potato
2 small white potatoes
Pre-heat oven at 200 degrees Celcius
1. Saute in a sauce pan the onion and carrots with some olive oil.
2. Add in the lentils
3. Add the passata and the water straight away
4. Bring it to the boil and put in the stock cube
5. Bring heat down and add the peas and parsley
7. Let it simmer until lentils are soft
Once potatoes were roasted I just smashed it with a potato masher in a bowl.
I then added the lentils mix into individual plate bowls, topped with the mash potato and garnished with some leeks on top.
- Bring temperature down in the oven to 180 degrees Celcius
- Place the bowls back into the oven to set them for 30 minutes