Made this stuffed chestnut mushrooms and they are absolutely delicious. You can serve them as a starter, as a main or as a side dish.
I served them as a main, as shown in the picture below, served with some spinach-brown rice. Hubby who is the opposite to a vegetarian loved them, so every time he loves something that doesn’t include meat, it is a good indicator to me that my dish was good.
You could use any type of mushrooms for this dish. I personally love the chestnut mushrooms when using them as a main as I found them way tastier and “meatier” if that makes sense.
Here is a very interesting fact about mushrooms: If exposed to sunlight, they absorb vitamin D, which then our body absorbs, so before you eat your mushrooms, put them in a plate near a window where the sun is shining!
1 pack of chestnut mushrooms (20 mushrooms)
1 cup of sun-dried tomatoes or about 20 cherry tomatoes roasted
50 grams of feta cheese
1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons of raisins (optional, they do give this dish a very moroccan taste, but if you don’t like raisins, you can leave them out)
– Pre-heat the oven at 180 degrees celcius –
1. First, prepare your mushrooms by cutting the steam and cleaning them with a veggie brush. All professional chefs advice not to wash mushrooms as they absorb the water and then, when cooked they go soggy.
2. Heat up 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan ad sauté the red pepper with the onion and the garlic until onion is translucent.
3. Add the sun-dried or cherry tomatoes in a bowl and chop them as fine as you can. Add the sautéed veggies, feta cheese, the seeds and raisins if using
4. Use this mix to stuff your mushrooms
5. Cook them in the oven for 25 minutes
The picture above show all the ingredients used to stuff them. As I didn’t have sun-dried tomatoes, I roasted about 15 cherry tomatoes in the oven for 30 minutes with some olive oil, sea salt and pepper.
This dish tasted so good, I can’t wait to make it again! I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I and my family did. If you make them be sure to tag me on any of my social media channels.