This dish is one of our family favourites! I can batch cook for the week and even freeze it (it freezes very well!)
The boys loves it and their feedback is my best reviews as kids tell you as it is if they don’t like it!
This dish is also high in protein, fibre and lentils are so economical this dish is ideal for when you are cooking under a budget!
Ingredients: (this makes 4-5 portions)
2 cups red lentils
1 butternut squash
2 small sweet potatoes or carrots (your choice)
1 red onion
1 white onion
1 aubergine (or courgette)
1 can of coconut milk
350ml of vegetable stock
And here are the herbs and spices I use:
- handful of parsley
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- Cayenne pepper is optional, if you like a little spice kick in it add it!
- Sea salt and pepper
- In a big sauce pan heat up some coconut oil or olive oil
- Saute all the diced vegetables for 20-25 minutes or until onion is translucent
- Add the lentils, followed by the coconut oil and stock
- Bring it to the boil
- Add all the herbs and spices
- Bring heat to the lowest setting, put a lid on and cook for about 20 minutes or until lentils are cooked
- Serve with couscous, brown rice or quinoa.
- To add volume to your plate serve with some greens like spinach, broccoli or cabbage